Your First Computer

Maria M

EDF Elite
Dafug? Wasn't 512 mb RAM standard at around 2001/2002. That must have been really high end late 90s if it still came with Windows 95 and not 98 or ME.
Yeah, it was 1997-8 when dell was testing the waters and lycos and that shit dog logo ruled the 'web' (It was my xmas gift)
They upgraded it basically and told us it was to 'become the new normal as tech is always changing'

We didnt even know what the webcam was and all got freaked out by the flash :D

Lovecraft

EDF Hero
First computer I had access to was my dads Sinclair ZX82, or a good clone - can't really remember whether it was a genuine one or not, followed by C64 and some other long lost systems. R: TAPE LOADING ERROR sometimes still haunt my dreams.
My personal first computer was a franken-machine made from my dads spare parts, Intel i486DX running at a staggering 33MHz and 8 megabytes of ram. The system ran on MS-DOS 6 and Win 3.1x
Aside from my franken-rigs steam powered junk, I had access to a continually upgraded and rebuilt beast that my dad always tinkered with up until around 1999-2000 when I surpassed him in computer knowledge and he basically said "Fuck it, free tech support 4 lyfe"

FuckYa

Supreme Bullshit Artist
ZX Spectrum 128K+, the fucker with the built in tapedeck. Made a text adventure with it and thought I was l33t as shit.

Synecdoche

EDF Elite
Website
twitter.com
First computer was just one of those generic beige desktop computers.

I still remember getting the internet for the first time and i wanted to get on the internet at 5 in the morning and woke up my entire family with the dial-up modem, i guess I was naive enough to think that turning the speakers off would turn off the dial up sounds. After using that computer for ages we had a sony viao and a dell and an hp. Soon I started to build and mess around with computers and we started going through different computers constantly.

Haribo

Haribosexual
An IBM PS/ValuePoint my dad brought home for me sometime in the summer of 1996. Came with a 14" IBM branded monitor and a machanical-key IBM Model M keyboard. Hardware inside was pretty low end even in the mid-90s but everything on the outside was top-dollar. It ran Windows 95 pretty well so it must have had 8mb of RAM (I doubt 16mb was in my dad's budget at the time). I don't remember which version of the 486 it had; just that it had a 486.

FlamingTofuSquare

Dramatis Personæ
My grandmother had one of these, or something like it. I swear it was Honeywell branded because that's where she worked for years and years, but I could be wrong. She had it from the time I was really small, and I would play a bunch of shitty games on 5" floppy like Stickybear and a bunch of other stuff I don't remember.

Either that, or I'm thinking of two different computers. I think the games computer ended up at my uncle's house, and she had a different one that may have been Honeywell that was just basically a word processor. She used it to type up church meeting minutes for years and the fucker didn't crap out until like 2001.

The MacIntosh Classic was the first one my dad bought for our own house. I'd play more horrid learning games on it (some math racecar game that made a horrible crashing noise when you got a wrong answer), and I was constantly using up printer ink to print out clipart like some kind of homemade coloring book. There was also a program that was part of a system demo that I loved because one of its features was a thing where the electronic voice would read out the first four lines of the Canterbury Tales in Middle English, with both modern and Middle English written out in a follow-the-bouncing-ball fashion. I felt like some little supergenius because not only could I read early (like 3-4), but I knew what the fuck Middle English was to boot.

This was like our 3rd family computer. I think we had the model right before this one, not a Presario, but it had those same big-ear lookin' speakers on the side of the monitor.

KaneLives95

EDF Hero

I used to have an old Gateway 2000 series. It didn't have Internet capabilities but it had a decent hard drive. Used to play Command & Conquer on it all the time and some Sierra games like Missionforce: Cyberstorm.

Jesse Garret

Dramacrat
Probably an iPad. I know my mom had an older smart phone(pre-phone days) but I was a bit too young to remember it.

Haribo

Haribosexual

I used to have an old Gateway 2000 series. It didn't have Internet capabilities but it had a decent hard drive. Used to play Command & Conquer on it all the time and some Sierra games like Missionforce: Cyberstorm.
I have a Gateway tower that looks just like that sitting in my laundry room. I think it has a Pentium III 500mhz and was made in early 2000. It's kind of useless to me but it seems like tossing it would be a waste.

xXtryingtoohardXx

EDF Elite
Website
www.lennonmurdertruth.com

Ahh, I remember the games and the steering wheel that came with it. The steering wheel was a piece of shit that barely functioned, but my dad always insisted that he used it when he played my copy of Stunt Track Racer.

That game was the shit back in my day. And the soundtrack was killer.

Last edited:

KaneLives95

EDF Hero

Ahh, I remember the games and the steering wheel that came with it. The steering wheel was a piece of shit that barely functioned, but my dad always insisted that he used it when he played my copy of Stunt Track Racer.

That game was the shit back in my day. And the soundtrack was killer.
Man the story of the Hotwheels PC was not a happy one. You were one of the lucky few who managed to get one since the company that made them went bankrupt when Mattel pulled the plug.

There's a story of that PC on LGR's ODDWare.

Of course nowadays they aren't really special since they were just reskins of another shitty PC, and expensive ones too.

Phelan

EDF Hero
don't have any pics but i believe it was a Tandy 1000 got it for my birthday/christmas gift. my birthday which is in november somehow slipped my parents mind and they made up for it at christmas