What the fuck happened to GOG.com?

wretchedgretchen

Not funny anymore
I've been having a hankering to play some of the old AD&D forgotten realms games. Go to look them up on gog, 10 bucks. For a 30 year old computer game. What the fuck?! When did this happen? They used to have that shit for 99 cents!

Malachi

EDF Elite
They used to have that shit for 99 cents!
Counting for inflation or no? Besides, Id imagine part of the price comes from attempting to make sure that old shit can run on modern OSes

But, I mean, you could just go pirate them and get them working yourself and not worry about whatever some digital storefront charges

wretchedgretchen

Not funny anymore
Counting for inflation or no? Besides, Id imagine part of the price comes from attempting to make sure that old shit can run on modern OSes

But, I mean, you could just go pirate them and get them working yourself and not worry about whatever some digital storefront charges
No I mean like a couple years ago it was 99 cents. And yes I am pirating them cuz fuck that.

@Likeicare

wretchedgretchen

Not funny anymore
Was it on special?
In this one instance baya I will reply to you since I'm genuinely curious about this issue.

No. All the games on gog used to be somewhere around 1/10th of what they cost now. I think gog just got big-ish and the jews noticed and snatched it up.

Baya Rae 4900

Lawlman
Website
encyclopediadramatica.se
In this one instance baya I will reply to you since I'm genuinely curious about this issue.

No. All the games on gog used to be somewhere around 1/10th of what they cost now. I think gog just got big-ish and the jews noticed and snatched it up.
I was under the impression that the price was determined by the owner of the IP.

uberfukken

Custom title
Yeah but wtf tho? I'm pissed cuz they used to be a decent source but now they're jewing the fuck out of every game I loved as a child.

Tfw you're reminded that jews own your nostalgia
well don't pay people for things they pick out of the garbage

Baya Rae 4900

Lawlman
Website
encyclopediadramatica.se
Lol they're selling abandonware
well don't pay people for things they pick out of the garbage
It's not necessarily just that. They make old Windows games work fine on Windows 7 and beyond. As far as I can tell, though, they just slap DOSbox with old DOS games and call it a day. I suppose they specifically configure that particular DOSbox to that particular game but that's it.

FuckYa

Supreme Bullshit Artist
I have no problem with GOG's pricing, but then I'm not poor, so you know.

Malachi

EDF Elite
It's not necessarily just that. They make old Windows games work fine on Windows 7 and beyond. As far as I can tell, though, they just slap DOSbox with old DOS games and call it a day. I suppose they specifically configure that particular DOSbox to that particular game but that's it.
So it comes down to paying for convenience which, frankly, doesn't surprise me. The people who know what they're doing will get it for free and those who have no clue essentially paid someone else who did

Gayligula

Emperor of your ass
Yeah yeah yeah

It's one thing to charge 14 bucks for a new movies with 100m dollar budget, but charging 10 bucks for something that should be freeware wtf
Warez only get free after 70 years, but even then the kike charges money. Even when its just a download.

Never forget the 6 million.

uberfukken

Custom title
Config can be a bitch sometimes, I remember spending an hour or so trying to get the sound on Mechwarrior2 to work on dosbox.

Probably easier to just run Windows 95 on a VM but I never had to go that far.

Baya Rae 4900

Lawlman
Website
encyclopediadramatica.se
So it comes down to paying for convenience which, frankly, doesn't surprise me. The people who know what they're doing will get it for free and those who have no clue essentially paid someone else who did
In fairness, most of the (non-DOS) games they mod are unplayable (either outright or otherwise) on current Windows and PCs so they're actually contributing something. They're also releasing new games. Also, their main shtick is that all their games are DRM free.