What is Mathematics? - an addendum to the comments between Talbert and Maggot

GSTalbert1

Girlvinyl
ps. Arendt's unsuccessful love life is reason enough for her distorted political views
hell, it is reason enough for all kinds of distort
Love messes with everything. When Satan accuses someone it's up to them to prove him wrong.

Dawkins hates Religions so much because he's so passionate about others and science. If he lacked a big heart he would not be able to hate very much.

Tod_Geiger

Dramacrat
Mathematics is beautiful because it is poetry in it's most raw and primitive form.

If you are referring to poetry with regard to its mastery of language, form and syntax
then I would agree;
If you are expanding on the emotion born from the understanding of the internal relations between mathematical concepts, then I would be inclined to agree once again, only on a shift of premise.

My own perception of beauty (as to the produce of the mind) is affected by good old 19th century positivism.
It is hard for me to find allure where a machine in thought does not operate far and beyond the prerequisite of man.

GSTalbert1

Girlvinyl
If you are referring to poetry with regard to its mastery of language, form and syntax
then I would agree;
If you are expanding on the emotion born from the understanding of the internal relations between mathematical concepts, then I would be inclined to agree once again, only on a shift of premise.

My own perception of beauty (as to the produce of the mind) is affected by good old 19th century positivism.
It is hard for me to find allure where a machine in thought does not operate far and beyond the prerequisite of man.
Math directs the mind in ways, I feel, are identical to the direction of a poem. There's a really good quote by Spinoza that I think links up to Newtons thingymabob. I've started reading an old book on the 19th cent artists. For me beauty is something that reveals itself in it's time. I suppose that would make me a positivist in that regard, but I'm not fully sure what all I'm commuting to there.

GSTalbert1

Girlvinyl

GSTalbert1

Girlvinyl
Philosophy. Splitting hairs since the dawn of time, in the never ending quest for technical correctness ala semantics, and analysis of the cognitive faculties.
Emotions and rationality are one, they are describing different aspects of the same phenomenon. Two sides of the same coin. There's a bunch of different legitimate ways to describe it.

Tod_Geiger

Dramacrat
@Tod_Geiger hey man what sort of books would you recommend on 19th century art?

I really am not that informed so as to say anything of substance, but 19th century art is a vast subject. Try the Taschen guides, they are easy to read and full of info. They do look like airplane magazines though.

CallMeMaggot

Girlvinyl
But for starters I must say I doubt very much a kike schoolar said something on that vibe...in fact, he seems to stablish a difference between reason and emotion, if anything.

Quoting him: "...correspond to different evaluative faculties, the theoretical intellect or the spirited part of the soul or the practical/material intellect"