Iris Scanner and the eyes of the dead

Aroukar

EDF Elite
Old news, but I found it interesting enough to share. Basically, about a year ago researchers created a system that can differentiate between the eyes of a living person and a dead one. Using a machine-learning algorithm, they fed the system images of dead and living eyes to train it. That's the long and short of it. Oh, and the system can't tell if eyes are dead if the eye is less than 16 hours old. Heh.
Sauce:
Iris scanner can distinguish dead eyeballs from living ones
The sauce of the sauce:
Presentation Attack Detection for Cadaver Iris
Man, I'd sure like to see the dataset of the dead eyes but there some sort of agreement I have to make in the name of a research institution or something. Too bad too.
I think this is the link to that:
Items 7 through 8

Radha the Buttwhisperer

Sexually Delinquent, Permanently Sleepless
Dude that's fucking neat.
I wanna know how it can't detect the difference if you haven't been dead that long. I wanna say that the lack of pupil construction on a dead person vs live might be it, but u lose that reflex at death instantly.

I'mma see if I can figure the last links out, it's just up my nerdy alley.

Lovecraft

EDF Hero
There are techniques today where they can easily tell if an eye is alive and connected to a blood supply with two consecutive retina scans in short order. Kit is expensive compared to commercial iris scanners though, and more bulky. The trick in biometric security is and always has been to hit the sweet spot of LoD to cost and complexity.