High-End Smartphones. Overall, are they worth it?

Fatal_Exception_0E

Hyper Light Drifter
Hey all.

I'm planning on buying the Sony Xperia XZ when it releases next month. I'm a little apprehensive as I've never spent more than $250 on a phone before and I expect the Xperia XZ to cost around $700 USD when it releases. (I plan on buying this phone fully-priced & unlocked if it matters) . I want to hear about everyone else's smartphone experiences.. i.e.: cost, worth, regrets (if any), benefits, etc. I also want to hear about other users' current & previous high-end smartphones. How long did you hold on to each phone before you upgraded, how was it's battery power, speeds, features, etc.

I also would like to know if anyone here is familiar with rooting android phones. The only experiences I have with rooting was a 2011 attempt to jailbreak my brand-new (at the time) iPod touch. I nearly hard-bricked it because of my nervous hands fumbling the buttons I had to hold down. Has anyone else here had any negative experiences trying to root their cellphones? I want to root my Xperia straight out of the box, but will the benefits outweigh the risks?

And please, I also don't want to see any "Apple vs Samsung" stupidity. That's what I've been seeing in other tech forums recently and I've been trying to avoid it.

I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to this sort of stuff; if you wanna take the time to enlighten me, I'd appreciate it.

lotic

Happiness Browser
I didn't know Boost Mobile was offering the new Xperia.

3tails

Dramacrat
The more expensive phones aren't worth it. They cost as much as a used car and devalue as fast as a new car. And you want to root/jailbreak it after bricking another phone by trying to root/jailbreak it? Seriously?

Why do you really want to root/jailbreak it anyway? Unless you're running homebrew stuff there's no point to it. Homebrew means needing to back everything up as the software is made by hobbyists and your phone can be screwed up if you're not careful. Some apps on the store will lock you out if you're rooted, too, so it limits your options.

All of this points to "Don't use the super expensive phone". Get a phone a year or two old for maybe a seventh of the price or less then go mucking around on it if you want to root/jailberak it. Phones with similar RAM (3GB) sell for as low as a hundred-fifty bucks. Less RAM gets even cheaper. 2 GB is still considered "strong". Even 1 GB is enough to multitask.

Don't be dumb, especially when it's a phone you're just mucking around with.

JustAPandaOK

Cat Dad
Just get a phone that has the stuff you need and don't spend hundreds of dollars like a stupid fucking faggot.

Fatal_Exception_0E

Hyper Light Drifter
The more expensive phones aren't worth it. They cost as much as a used car and devalue as fast as a new car. And you want to root/jailbreak it after bricking another phone by trying to root/jailbreak it? Seriously?

Why do you really want to root/jailbreak it anyway? Unless you're running homebrew stuff there's no point to it. Homebrew means needing to back everything up as the software is made by hobbyists and your phone can be screwed up if you're not careful. Some apps on the store will lock you out if you're rooted, too, so it limits your options.

All of this points to "Don't use the super expensive phone". Get a phone a year or two old for maybe a seventh of the price or less then go mucking around on it if you want to root/jailberak it. Phones with similar RAM (3GB) sell for as low as a hundred-fifty bucks. Less RAM gets even cheaper. 2 GB is still considered "strong". Even 1 GB is enough to multitask.

Don't be dumb, especially when it's a phone you're just mucking around with.
Yeah... you are probably right, man. I don't wanna use my new phone as a guinea pig when I screwed up the first time around. As for why I wanted to root my new phone, the reason is because Sony disabled the fingerprint scanner security feature on the US version of the Xperia XZ. It's available on the international versions though, I was considering importing an Xperia from the UK but I don't want to deal with US Customs agents and high import fees. The fingerprint scanner tech is apparently still on the US version, just disabled by Sony for unknown reasons. However, it can be enabled with a custom ROM.

I agree with you when you say it isn't worth the risks.

By the sounds of it you are saying you want to 'root your phone' just because you think it sounds cool and impressive and actually have no idea what you're talking about
As always, your valuable input is greatly appreciated.

Likeicare

EDF is my hugbox
Website
lolthisismyhome.com
Why did you delete your courteous reply and replace it with this? I ask because, in the past, I've only seen the reverse.
because this was much too polite

I probably should've elaborated first. The Xperia XZ has fingerprint scanner on-board, but for some reason, Sony has disabled it on the US versions of the phone.The tech is still on phone
also potentially fucking your phone just because you want to use the fingerprint scanner, which afaik is only really used as a novelty item, is retarded

scumhook

Managing account details
Website
www.ungod.ly
anyone here is familiar with rooting android phones.
Yes. I've rooted a few android HTC & Google phones to fix bluetooth and other issues. Now I have an S7 and don't need to fucking root it because it works well. Also, it will be a fucking cold day in hell before I put my fucking fingerprint into a phone or laptop, so fuck you and fuck Sony. Anyone who buys a Sony deserves all they get.

I'm pretty much a layman when it comes to this sort of stuff
Yeah, you shouldn't be rooting anything. Both in the android and Australian sense.

Website
fleacollerindustry.deviantart.com
I own a Samsung Galaxy Note 4 for two reasons:
* for VR development
* for its big screen

If it weren't for that, I'd be sticking with my Palm webOS phones because those don't have tracking software written for it nor does it require a fingerprint to unlock it. Even with my Note 4, I try to avoid doing sensitive shit on it; anything I do with it is done with the knowledge that it's being tracked and recorded by the powers-that-be. Which is why all my drug purchases from my dealer is done on a completely separate phone.

In other words: just get a phone that does what you want it to do and nothing more. Furthermore, assume that everything you do on your phone could potentially wind up on a billboard somewhere, so don't use it for private conversations, etc.

---

E: Concerning rooting: I only did it with my webOS phones, back when I owned them. I've never needed to root my Note 4 because it does what I need it to do. I've never felt the need to root it, although I do miss what rooting can do.

JustAPandaOK

Cat Dad
* for VR development
* for its big screen

If it weren't for that, I'd be sticking with my Palm webOS phones because those don't have tracking software written for it nor does it require a fingerprint to unlock it. Even with my Note 4, I try to avoid doing sensitive shit on it; anything I do with it is done with the knowledge that it's being tracked and recorded by the powers-that-be. Which is why all my drug purchases from my dealer is done on a completely separate phone.

In other words: just get a phone that does what you want it to do and nothing more. Furthermore, assume that everything you do on your phone could potentially wind up on a billboard somewhere, so don't use it for private conversations, etc.

---

E: Concerning rooting: I only did it with my webOS phones, back when I owned them. I've never needed to root my Note 4 because it does what I need it to do. I've never felt the need to root it, although I do miss what rooting can do.
I miss my note 4 :(

Fatal_Exception_0E

Hyper Light Drifter
Why did you delete your courteous reply and replace it with this? I ask because, in the past, I've only seen the reverse.
I'm going to assume you are talking about the post I deleted. That was sent from my current phone which is a piece of garbage. It automatically mixed my response in with the quoted post I was replying to.

* for VR development
* for its big screen

---

You have good points. I should take more things like privacy and personal security into consideration. I actually might pass on the Xperia XZ phone because I've been hearing Google Daydream beginning to make a buzz. I'm considering waiting until Sony makes a "Daydream Ready" phone.

Im just saying this is almost the same as your thread where you were asking for 'stock advice ' while clearly not knowing anything about the stockmarket

Take it however you want
Well I have never rooted a phone before, yes. But I have hacked my psp, ps3 , a friend's wii (just to see if i could do it) and modified a Nintendo DSi and physically modified a PS2. I did all without damaging any of them. I also admitted I didn't know anything about modifying/rooting phones in the OP, my illiterate friend.

Have you ever rooted anything?