Headphones thread!

feminist jazz hands

Moral Highlander
Sennheiser are good for the price but i dont get much life out of them
I'm buying new headphones like every month or so.. it's all fucking junk. Not sound-wise, plenty of them sound extremely classy, but nothing is really built to last these days..
They tend to have highs a bit toned down, yep...which I find a must to avoid listening fatigue
Same here, i like them as well. Tho i have a sony headphones atm.. :oops: It's strange that nobody mentioned Koss headphones yet, most of em ain't bad either..

CallMeMaggot

Girlvinyl
Same here, i like them as well. Tho i have a sony headphones atm.. :oops: It's strange that nobody mentioned Koss headphones yet, most of em ain't bad either..
Koss are a classic (tho not very impressive of lately)...so are Grado, Beyer and Audio Technica, from those I like

AKGs, on the contrary, tend to fry my eardrums after a while...

JustAPandaOK

Cat Dad
I remember having a pair of Koss headphones way back in the day when I was a youngin. And more recently when I was in a band we had some for recording shit. They're really good.

Nox Noctis

Echi 'till I die. All these lolis call me Senpai.

Sentey B-Trek H10. I bought these last Cyber Monday. These are amazing. Wired and Bluetooth capable. They have been fluctuating in price often, I bought mine for $30. At first they hurt after a while, but I find them comfy now.

feminist jazz hands

Moral Highlander
Koss are a classic (tho not very impressive of lately)...so are Grado, Beyer and Audio Technica, from those I like

AKGs, on the contrary, tend to fry my eardrums after a while...
I heard some good things about Grado.. mainly about the quality of the components they're made of and the fact that they are handmade. Bayerdynamics headphones are great, but most of them are little out of my price range, heh. But it's all good stuff, Germans may be even bigger audiophiles than Japanese ppl. What kind of loudspeakers and amps are using, aside from the phones, btw? :awesome:

moogshroom

EDF Hero
Inherited those from my father and ordered a new foam temple. Now they're comfy and more or less sturdy.
These must be similar to HD650, I got mine for 160 euros ("probably" stolen), thanks gypsies.
Need to get a newer amp though, now using some archaic one by Pioneer with a few broken knobs.

Stax SR-009 might be the ear canal's wet dream, but never got a chance to even try them.

feminist jazz hands

Moral Highlander
Who??!! :eek:

Hi-End is the most retarded thing ever, believe me, I was in the audio trade for many years...still, some quality phones amp makes sense, headphone stages in pre amps are usually sub par
I dig, but aren't you using any loudspeaker system or set, just the headphones? I know i'm kinda derailing, but i don't think there will be another thread for that kind of shit. I'm not turning my set on that often these days, but it is nice to have it around. About the pre.. for some years, i had a rack with large eq and few exciters and enhancers in it, so it wasn't that much of a problem to run it through.. but i'm not that much of an audiophile to tweak every now and then, and i prefer normal stuff.. i love old tesla speakers, for example.. :awesome:
With that being said, i must say that a little bit of compression can save your ears a lot.. my hearing sense is weird tho, i'm hearing lows best and i'm near deaf in higher frequencies, but those spikes can still be a little painful.. you know, once it crosses the threshold..
:negative:

CallMeMaggot

Girlvinyl
i love old tesla speakers
Wut? Elaborate, pls

I love speakers, in fact I design and build them as a hobby, the ones I use in a daily base are DIY...man, it's a subject I can rant for hours, there's a huge amount of missunderstanding about them...beware to unleash the nerdy beast...

I'll just leave here the best link that I know on the matter, that site is a treasure trove of hard info

Last edited:

feminist jazz hands

Moral Highlander
Wut? Elaborate, pls

I love speakers, in fact I design and build them as a hobby, the ones I use in a daily base are DIY...man, it's a subject I can rant for hours, there's a huge amount of missunderstanding about them...beware to unleash the nerdy beast...

I'll just leave here the best link that I know on the matter, that site is a treasure trove of hard info
With pleasure.. Tesla was the name of local, Czechoslovakian monopoly, all the manufactures of electrical appliances and components, fused into one huge moloch. Not everything it made was obsolete crap, tho, some things made in the 50s/60s were actually quite nice. For example, the speakers were fitted into the first fender twin reverb combos.. the manufacture of speakers was halted in 2007/2008(bought by some bigger company only to be later closed), but you can still find some on ebay, but for totally ridiculous prices. :D They weren't miraculous or anything, but they were cheap and relatively good, made with fine components and skillful handiwork. I think the few remaining factories(there is multitude of companies with similar names, having name Tesla in their brand name), divided in the 90s, later focused on the aforementioned components, mainly vacuum tubes. http://www.jj-electronic.com/en/ http://www.electron-tubes.cz/en/ The slovakian triodes and pentodes aren't bad, from what i've heard.

Building your own, huh? That's awesome! I'd love to do that someday too, it's fascinating how sounds in different frequencies are spreading in different manners.. every space and every material offers different possibilities.. and how you can't let a single screw loosened, or you're left with bunch of unwanted resonance, that must whip the perfectionist out of you, right? :awesome: I have done some testing and reviewing in the past, but i'm more focused on instrument amplifiers and signal and effect processors. I like nice stuff, but i don't have to own the absolutely best stuff there is.. i mean, at one time, i was going every day past this shop with McIntosh valve amps.. and i've stopped there few times and i must agree that they sound terrific.. but at the same time, a single amp costs amount to a price of a brand new car.. :eek:

Thanks for the link, i have already spend some time digging through and it is as you say, and they dude seems wicked cool. I have amassed few links to interesting sources as well, but they're mainly aimed at the signal processing, so i dunno if you'd be interested in that. In any case, here's a good site about modern (mainly pedal) compressors, with some interesting facts on the side: http://www.ovnilab.com/faq.shtml