Gawker Archiving

Satanicdruggie

CouchCrew victim
Website
FuckYou.com
TL;DR those faggots are going to close down in like a week.

NOTE: This isn't being done to benefit gawker. Any links to them were supposed to be archive'd anyways so those faggots didn't get any revenue from ED traffic. However, with the sites shutting down within a week, this is a matter of preserving context for the articles. This was work that needed to be done long ago; it's just the time limit now that's motivating some of us to get to work.

What we need you to do, is:

Go to

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/index.php?title=Special:LinkSearch&target=kotaku.com&namespace=0

(Replace kotaku.com with any other gawker branch site)

Go to the link's page.

Take the link, and go to archive.is

Archive the link

Go gack to the links page

Replace the original link with the archived one, using {{Archive|___}}

Rinse and repeat.

We have one week for this @LulzKiller

Last edited:

uberfukken

Custom title
"Preserving linkbacks to Gawker" doesn't rate very high on my priority list

LulzKiller

King Kunt
I don't think even @LulzKiller cares enough to archieve this shit.
It's sad that I fall below even your expectations. I've been the only fucker who was doing the archiving before Satan/AlGore nagged you all to do it.

To clarify iirc we had a policy of not giving gawker links as per clickbait, etc but we never bothered to replace them

Radha the Buttwhisperer

Sexually Delinquent, Permanently Sleepless
It's sad that I fall below even your expectations. I've been the only fucker who was doing the archiving before Satan/AlGore nagged you all to do it.

To clarify iirc we had a policy of not giving gawker links as per clickbait, etc but we never bothered to replace them
k. i will try to help when i get some time after work. i take no responsibility for any fuckups i may cause...

LulzKiller

King Kunt
k. i will try to help when i get some time after work. i take no responsibility for any fuckups i may cause...
if you make any mistakes, i'll be more than happy to explain where you went wrong, me and Al wouldn't have even asked, it's more the fact that we have <week to do this.

this is not wanting gawker to be saved per se and more that ED has used gawker sites as sources a lot more than it probably should have. means we might end up with a lot of claims/statements with deadlinks. it's not even our fault most of the time, more ED 1.0.

Satanicdruggie

CouchCrew victim
Website
FuckYou.com

Whenever I needed to link to a gawker-based site for the context of an article, I always archive.is'd it. Fuck those SJW kikes. Heil Hogan.

Satanicdruggie

CouchCrew victim
Website
FuckYou.com
I am User:AlGore. If you need any help and Lulz isn't active at the time, shoot me a message.

I've done a fuckload of edits and I still make a lot of mistakes. Failure is inevitable, get over it. Learn from your mistakes, most us Sysops won't give a fuck. Our workload is often relaxed, we're like firemen. Don't hesitate to ask us for help bro

LulzKiller

King Kunt
There's only like 50 links left for kotaku.com

I've done a dozen or so, I'm gonna crunch this data now since all my other tasks IRL are out of the damn way.
I should point out to people the main absolute priority in terms of Gawker links is those in Mainspace (the articles that people read), it matters less if those outside don't get archived but if those do, it's a nice bonus.

We've basically got 9 sites in total, I've already done the main Gawker on the day or two after we first heard the news of the buyout/shutdown. This means if @Satanicdruggie does kotaku, the rest of us only have to do 7 other sites, and judging by the likes of lifehacker, that shouldn't be too much to ask.

Since it was only 3 links, I did lifehacker. Only 6 other sites if Algore can keep to his promise of doing Kotaku on his own.

Did io9, only 5 sites disregarding kotaku.

Last edited:

uberfukken

Custom title
How about we just delete every link to every Gawker affiliated site anywhere on ED.

You could use a bot and get that done with a few clicks.

I'd rather see wiki editors creating new content than bending over backwards to make sure our backlinks to Gawker are preserved.

LulzKiller

King Kunt
I'd rather see wiki editors creating new content than bending over backwards to make sure our backlinks to Gawker are preserved.
it's only backlinks to archive.is, we aren't supposed to give backlinks to gawker anyway.

My main concern in terms of the delete everything approach is talkpages, ED in the news, etc.

uberfukken

Custom title
it's only backlinks to archive.is, we aren't supposed to give backlinks to gawker anyway.

My main concern in terms of the delete everything approach is talkpages, ED in the news, etc.
That's what exclusions are for.

Manual labor is for dumb autists. Be a smart autist and automate it.

Satanicdruggie

CouchCrew victim
Website
FuckYou.com
All kotaku links are removed or archived now.

Other shit to delete / archive

<I CLEARED GIZMODO>

<I CLEARED DEADSPIN>

< I CLEARED JEZEBEL>

<I CLEARED VALLEYWAG>

Last edited: