Data recovery.

j15m

if you saved a dollar a day by now you would have had your data back... also, the longer you delay it, the worse it will get.
I didn't know that, I vacuum sealed it in plastic but didn't realize time was a factor :(
Shooting for next month and my tax return.

uberfukken

Custom title
if you saved a dollar a day by now you would have had your data back... also, the longer you delay it, the worse it will get.
Maybe over the course of many years time would matter.

I didn't know that, I vacuum sealed it in plastic but didn't realize time was a factor :(
Shooting for next month and my tax return.
Put it in an anti-static bag. I don't think vacuum sealing it in plastic will do much to protect it.

j15m

Maybe over the course of many years time would matter.

Put it in an anti-static bag. I don't think vacuum sealing it in plastic will do much to protect it.
Ok, will do.. it just stopped working in the last year

uberfukken

Custom title
Ok, will do.. it just stopped working in the last year
The data's still on the platters so it'll be good for a long time. Your only option is to shell out a grand to the recovery experts so they can move them into a drive that works.

External HDD drives are shit and break constantly. Spend the extra $50 and get an SSD drive next time, otherwise backups.

j15m

The data's still on the platters so it'll be good for a long time. Your only option is to shell out a grand to the recovery experts so they can move them into a drive that works.

External HDD drives are shit and break constantly. Spend the extra $50 and get an SSD drive next time, otherwise backups.
ILJ suggested cloud?

uberfukken

Custom title
Yeah, I tried that and look.
Why not both? (not inserting meme)
If you did try it you wouldn't be in this situation.

Both if you want. Though unless the data is super important I don't see why you'd need multiple backups

uberfukken

Custom title
Considering it's an external drive and you're probably not running an OS off it, all you gotta do is copy the files onto your internal drive. Click n drag easy peasy. I'm guessing you lost a bunch of photos and shit.

j15m

No you just had all your data on one device, he is talking about keeping another seperate drive as a backup
Considering it's an external drive and you're probably not running an OS off it, all you gotta do is copy the files onto your internal drive. Click n drag easy peasy. I'm guessing you lost a bunch of photos and shit.
Yeah, photos over a decade on an external hd, saved them before laptop totally shit the bed.