Data recovery.

j15m

One of my external HD's that has important material on it has failed, I have read a little and watched some YT videos on what might me causing this. The platter is spinning but it sounds like the head just keeps clicking back and forth and the drive isn't recognized on any OS. I have removed it from it's plastic casing but haven't opened the drive itself yet to inspect it because I'm afraid of contamination. I called a few recovery companies and they are ridiculously expensive and warn not to open without a clean room, which is their sales pitch.
Anyone ever been through this or recovered shit from a broken HD themselves?

j15m

lol jk

I had the same thing happen to me.

I ended up dropping it and it magically worked long enough for me to recover what was on it.

Try throwing it against the wall homie.
All joking aside, I have watched 2 videos where people suggest banging it on a hard flat surface, some other video said to freeze it to make the parts shrink up and release or flip it upside down so gravity will drop the head off of the platter... seems hokey.

kurisu

EDF Elite
How much was the appraisal to fix that shit?

Where I worked data recovery was like $180 (lol) and that was just very basic stuff.

but for shit like that we'd have to send it off, I'd imagine.

I would just keep hitting it and freezing the shit out of it. :|

j15m

How much was the appraisal to fix that shit?

Where I worked data recovery was like $180 (lol) and that was just very basic stuff.

but for shit like that we'd have to send it off, I'd imagine.

I would just keep hitting it and freezing the shit out of it. :|
$500 - $1000
If no data is recovered $0

ubfkn

i'll mark it on your map
You could get an identical model and move the disc to the new one, that's pretty surgical tho

lotic

Happiness Browser
Is the hd recognized in the bios? A way to check is to see if it's listed in the menu for bootable media.

ilovejesus69

The n word is an act of violence
One of my external HD's that has important material on it has failed, I have read a little and watched some YT videos on what might me causing this. The platter is spinning but it sounds like the head just keeps clicking back and forth and the drive isn't recognized on any OS. I have removed it from it's plastic casing but haven't opened the drive itself yet to inspect it because I'm afraid of contamination. I called a few recovery companies and they are ridiculously expensive and warn not to open without a clean room, which is their sales pitch.
Realistically, your only options with a physically broken drive are usually pay the data recovery service or throw the drive away.

I recommend you get an encrypted cloud backup solution like Spider Oak so that drive failure doesn't matter.

j15m

Is the hd recognized in the bios? A way to check is to see if it's listed in the menu for bootable media.
No

Realistically, your only options with a physically broken drive are usually pay the data recovery service or throw the drive away.
I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and pay the service.... :mad:

I recommend you get an encrypted cloud backup solution like Spider Oak so that drive failure doesn't matter.
Duly noted.

ilovejesus69

The n word is an act of violence
Duly noted.
My most recent hard drive failure was a 4TB external drive. It took a few weeks to download all that data back on to the replacement drive, but it was well worth it.

j15m

My most recent hard drive failure was a 4TB external drive. It took a few weeks to download all that data back on to the replacement drive, but it was well worth it.
What I need recovered is probably only 200GB, it sucks dreading they could be lost forever.

Likeicare

EDF is my hugbox
Website
lolthisismyhome.com
get a very strong magnet, data is magnetic, and holding the magnet against the HDD will enable you to suck the data out. Then get a brand new HDD and put the magnet holding the data against the new one and it should transfer over

j15m

get a very strong magnet, data is magnetic, and holding the magnet against the HDD will enable you to suck the data out. Then get a brand new HDD and put the magnet holding the data against the new one and it should transfer over