C++ vs java vs Python vs X for beginners (and for work)

ilovejesus69

The n word is an act of violence
No I'm not... Not right now.

For web development, though? The person I was responding to specifically said Java is a necessity for web development, and I don't even remember the last time I saw a Java applet or a JHTML page. Maybe it's different in the corporate world; I know Java is used for plenty of things, but I haven't heard much about it in web development since 2010 or so. (Not that I've been around much since 2010 or so.)

If I'm wrong about that, then, apologies.

How the fuck is C++ harder to learn than Java, or produce results less quickly? I always considered C++ easier. Plus, with C++, there's no bulky interpreter. But they're not that different syntax-wise, and C++ is the better of the two.

C++ > Java
Yes. There is widespread use of Java applets in the business world. They aren't things you're going to run into in the every day world of web browsing, but I can assure you that Java applets are widely used.

As for C++ being easier than Java, are you fucking serious?

lotic

Happiness Browser
ASM is fucking hard. But not as fucking hard as you're making it out to be. Learning the basics is something any beginner can do, and, again, that's all I'm recommending.
There's no point to learning the basics of assembly unless you want to program in assembly. Learning how to store and load values in registers, doing basic logic on bits, and learning architecture-specific instructions are not things beginners care about.

They want to learn how to make simple programs, preferably in less than 20,000 lines of code.

Reverend Lulzcraft

Dramacrat
Unless you want to make a phone app without needing to compile it 20 different ways.
Fair 'nuff.

I've never dabbled in phone apps, at all, ever. I've never even owned a smartphone. (Hell, my parents had to buy me a prepaid just to keep in contact with me, and the battery has intentionally not been in it for at least three months now. Fuck you, NWO.) So you might be right on that one; didn't even think about it.

As for C++ being easier than Java, are you fucking serious?
I never said it was easier, but I wouldn't say it's harder. I would rather write a program in C++ than Java any day of the week.

I'm incapable of understanding context
Fuck you.

That's exactly my point: it's literally true. I'm not saying that OP should start out with ASM as a general-purpose language, but knowing how it works is something that any beginner can do in a week or two. That's aaaaallllll I'm recommending: look at it for a minute and try a HW or two.

Point being, yeah, it is TRUE that you don't have to learn anything before C++ or ASM. It's not at all like math, and fuck Python in the butt.

Also, I know nothing about cars, and your comparison is lost on me.

There's no point to learning the basics of assembly unless you want to program in assembly. Learning how to store and load values in registers, doing basic logic on bits, and learning architecture-specific instructions are not things beginners care about.

They want to learn how to make simple programs, preferably in less than 20,000 lines of code.
I cared about it.

Choni

Anchor Baby Jihadist
Does Python even exist in the real world? We used it for my high school comsci classes, but I have never seen it used other than a learniung tool.

Lurk

EDF Elite
Does Python even exist in the real world? We used it for my high school comsci classes, but I have never seen it used other than a learniung tool.
ive never seen it used outside of hobbyist shit

pumkinhead

Dramacrat
That doesn't make sense.

Either they're lying to you, or you're a fuckwit; or probably both.
They told me most applications/firewalls need programs to test every possible action etc. and some other shit like that.

pumkinhead

Dramacrat
I've studied C++ to a point. What should I be capable of doing with it for me to "know" it? I've only made some programs that go like this "enter X" get "Y results" (be it through some loops etc.).

scumhook

Managing account details
Website
www.ungod.ly
They told me most applications/firewalls need programs to test every possible action etc. and some other shit like that.
lol so they're going to get you, who clearly knows shit about shit, to write code to test firewalls??? :D :D :D :D

I forsee this code in your future:
10 PRINT "DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT"
20 GOTO 10

pumkinhead

Dramacrat
lol so they're going to get you, who clearly knows shit about shit, to write code to test firewalls??? :D :D :D :D

I forsee this code in your future:
10 PRINT "DO YOU WANT FRIES WITH THAT"
20 GOTO 10
Let me put it this way. Currently I don't have an idea what QA is exactly supposed to do. But out of all the IT jobs it seems to be clossest to what I'm supposed to do (QA job in chemistry, and it's required for some jobs).
On the "made some programs" you are right. I just did class work (had a basic course in the university).

scumhook

Managing account details
Website
www.ungod.ly
Let me put it this way. Currently I don't have an idea what QA is exactly supposed to do. But out of all the IT jobs it seems to be clossest to what I'm supposed to do (QA job in chemistry, and it's required for some jobs).
I get the feeling that you're speaking a different language.

I understand the individual words, but when I put them together, they hurt my brain.

how the fuck is QA'ing some chemical shit remotely related to QA'ing IT shit?

Lurk

EDF Elite
from what ive read so far, there is no way you're going to be testing firewalls any time soon. pick a language, be it java or C or AJAX(web dev shit) and stick to just that one till you can do some solid work with it

pumkinhead

Dramacrat
I get the feeling that you're speaking a different language.

I understand the individual words, but when I put them together, they hurt my brain.

how the fuck is QA'ing some chemical shit remotely related to QA'ing IT shit?
There were some job offers that required both a chemical degree and a certificate in QA programming in IT. I thought it may help me get in a similar position in a year or two. + I thought since both are running tests (at least I was told QA runs tests) the responsibilities would be similar. (I know chemistry includes a bit of other stuff, and idk what QA does completely in IT but it's closer to philosophy than let's say a developer).