Anyone has experience with buying used CPUs ?

Ed-209

Enforcement Droid
I'm currently building myself a NAS to free some space on my desktops, and was thinking I could reuse an old case and mobo I had lying around waiting to be used.
Issue is, the motherboard is 1155 socket and cpus for it aren't easy to come by new, so I might buy an used xeon I found. How likely is it that the thing still works ?
I've never bought used pc parts, and buying used CPUs sounds like a gamble, but xeons are supposed to be pretty though. What do you think ?
Also the motherboard was never tested and I got if for way too cheap, so there is a good chance it doesn't even work...
So, do I gamble on the xeon or do I start over with more recent socket ?
Buy from a reputable seller on ebay or if your lucky and work in company with an it department you might even score one free from a decommissioned system if they are cool and you ask nice. For a light duty Nas server for streaming video and files you can get away with a dual core but quad core is fine. Idk if they make dual core xenons in 1155 socket. Cpus rarely go bad compared to other components and when they do its usually due either overheating from failed cooling or too much voltage from trying to push the limits of an overclock but server systems rarely are overclocked.

moogshroom

EDF Hero
Thinking of going with E5-2670 Xeon as an upgrade, it was released in 2012, discontinued in 2015. Original customer price was whopping 1.5k USD, but they're being flooded into used electronics market already. SR0KX is the superiour version.

It's the mobos which retain their value better, because these processors are unbreakable.
But look at this beastly board with dual octacore Xeons and 128GB of RAM (can go up to 384GB).

http://www.natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Dual-E5-2670-128Gb-Kit-p/s2600cp-cpu-128gb-12800.htm

Having dual 8-core processors would be an advantage if they're supported. Vulkan might make a change in gaming, but who knows, it's AMD after all.

Ed-209

Enforcement Droid
Thinking of going with E5-2670 Xeon as an upgrade, it was released in 2012, discontinued in 2015. Original customer price was whopping 1.5k USD, but they're being flooded into used electronics market already. SR0KX is the superiour version.

It's the mobos which retain their value better, because these processors are unbreakable.
But look at this beastly board with dual octacore Xeons and 128GB of RAM (can go up to 384GB).

http://www.natex.us/Intel-S2600CP2J-Dual-E5-2670-128Gb-Kit-p/s2600cp-cpu-128gb-12800.htm

Having dual 8-core processors would be an advantage if they're supported. Vulkan might make a change in gaming, but who knows, it's AMD after all.
That would be a nice system for hosting multiple vm instances or for multi core video rendering.

moogshroom

EDF Hero
That would be a nice system for hosting multiple vm instances or for multi core video rendering.
Yes it would crunch the numbers so efficiently or could be used for hosting. Perhaps with some future-proofing too in case support for so many cores becomes the norm, which seems somewhat likely.

Cheaper way to build with Xeon is to look for "xeon workstation" results in Ebay. Then pick an offer with only the board, cheap CPU and memory, maybe with a PSU too. Then look for the best possible supported CPU. That way you might get 32GB of fast DDR3 and a good processor for 200-300 bucks.

moogshroom

EDF Hero
It's possible with some tinkering to install video cards on U1, U2 and larger servers too.
In case you have a need for 4-8 CPUs.

But from what I read there can be various problems. The onboard PSUs don't have enough power for a card or it can't draw enough from the PCI-E slot, or needs a riser-card or extender cable to fit, or the card won't be recognized.

I could get a really cheap and quite modern HP Proliant from a local place. But it draws lots of electricity and is loud as fuck. People who use these as desktops are likely deaf anyway.