Anyone has experience with buying used CPUs ?

nazca

Autistic Edgelord
I'm currently building myself a NAS to free some space on my desktops, and was thinking I could reuse an old case and mobo I had lying around waiting to be used.
Issue is, the motherboard is 1155 socket and cpus for it aren't easy to come by new, so I might buy an used xeon I found. How likely is it that the thing still works ?
I've never bought used pc parts, and buying used CPUs sounds like a gamble, but xeons are supposed to be pretty though. What do you think ?
Also the motherboard was never tested and I got if for way too cheap, so there is a good chance it doesn't even work...
So, do I gamble on the xeon or do I start over with more recent socket ?

SuperSpecialSuperStar

2011 Faggot of the Year
Website
gay.com
shut the fuck up before I knock you out w/ 1 punch and go in for the ground+pound, followed by a brutal QTE murderstomp to your pathetic white boy skull,destructing you once and for all

SuperSpecialSuperStar

2011 Faggot of the Year
Website
gay.com
how does it feel knowing while you sit in your bedroom at 4am ordering parts that cost thousands of dollars for ur gay " "gaming" "rig" " so you can play minecraft at 70 FPS i am out there honing my body to peak physical condition, pushing my sculpted beautiful muscles to the absolute limit?think all you want loser but if it came down to it i could and would easily break every bone in your body and i woudlnt give a single heckabout it. its beyond fucking words dude.

Bono-Roland

EDF Hero
how does it feel knowing while you sit in your bedroom at 4am ordering parts that cost thousands of dollars for ur gay " "gaming" "rig" " so you can play minecraft at 70 FPS i am out there honing my body to peak physical condition, pushing my sculpted beautiful muscles to the absolute limit?think all you want loser but if it came down to it i could and would easily break every bone in your body and i woudlnt give a single heckabout heckabout heckabout heckabout heckabout heckabout homobutt lol
lol you gay dude?

Bono-Roland

EDF Hero
Yeah. just wanted to point out what a gay language you use

Last edited:

moogshroom

EDF Hero
I haven't had any issues with used parts, I only avoid buying used PSUs.
Getting an untested mobo for way too cheap is a bit of a red flag though.

But I'm still using a rather old frankencomputer with following specs:
P5Q-VM mATX
8GB ddr2
Asus' 560gtx Ti
Xeon x5460 (see the "775 to 771" mod)

The CPU was dirt cheap, like 50 bucks and has a 12MB cache. Only needed to cut a bit of plastic from the socket, carefully apply a Chinese magic sticker in the cpu and update microcodes. I might eventually upgrade to 4790k-based system, but don't feel the need just yet. Maybe when there's a functioning ps3 emulator or a godlike game.