3D-CGI Software

Website
fleacollerindustry.deviantart.com
I used to do 3D-CGI art back in the day using Infini-D on the Mac (we're talking REALLY back in the day). I really got used to the interface and what it could, but I found it limiting in the end. I wanted to try something newer and better, but I didn't have the proper processing power, nor access to good software... this was before I had a job and before bittorrent existed. So, in the end, I stopped doing CG art.

Now I'm kinda interested in doing it, now that I have a fairly decent rendering computer and access to whatever software I want... but I don't know where to start. I downloaded and installed the free version of Unity, but it doesn't actually allow me to design stuff in it, just import existing models. Past that, I'm at a loss as to what is a good, useful, decent 3D-CGI design app.

So, does anyone have any suggestions? Cost is not an issue, and I don't expect it to be anything like Infini-D was like (frankly, I forgot how it works, so I'm willing to relearn something new). Just as long as it's powerful and useful, preferably self-explanatory, I'm game.

endsenten

Knows where you sleep
3DSMax or Maya
Be aware that Autodesk has moved to a "subscription" pay, so both 3DSMax and Maya will become money sinks unless you get a cracked version

Other programs would be Lightwave, Houdini and RealFlow.

Last edited:

Lurk

EDF Elite
3DSMax or Maya
Be aware that Autodesk has moved to a "subscription" pay, so both 3DSMax and Maya will become money sinks unless you get a cracked version

this. another one you could look at is zbrush, though last i knew it was more for modeling and sculpting than for animation

also, afaik Unity is designed more for making vidya gaems which, from what i understand, isnt really your interest

Website
fleacollerindustry.deviantart.com
3DSMax or Maya

What are the advantages of 3DSMax over Maya? Or is it just like the difference between Coke and Pepsi and thus just a matter of personal preference? Is it the same with Lightwave?

Getting a cracked version shouldn't be an issue.

Hexagon is okay, but can behave like a butt sometimes
In what way? Would fixing it just be a matter of having better hardware?

this. another one you could look at is zbrush, though last i knew it was more for modeling and sculpting than for animation

also, afaik Unity is designed more for making vidya gaems which, from what i understand, isnt really your interest
I don't mind using Unity, because of the physics features. And maybe I might want to make a video game. Though, I presume other 3D modeling and animation software has physics features too? I'm basing my expectations on what a 3D animation app can do based on my experiences with Infini-D some 15-20 years ago:

(Not my animation, but an example of Infini-D's superior qualities as a 3D modeler.)

Anyways, thanks everyone for the steps in the right direction. You have been most helpful!

FlamingTofuSquare

Dramatis Personæ
In what way? Would fixing it just be a matter of having better hardware?
Most of the problems we've had with it come from doing import-export stuff between Hex and DAZ - it tends to be like "lol nope" out of nowhere, which is really dumb because they are made by the same company and intended to be used together.

If you are using it on its own, however, you'll probably have an okay time with it. Mr. Tofu reports that it's fairly easy to use and one can pick up on its usage rather quickly.

endsenten

Knows where you sleep
What are the advantages of 3DSMax over Maya? Or is it just like the difference between Coke and Pepsi and thus just a matter of personal preference? Is it the same with Lightwave?
Pretty much, though Maya is slightly more focused on animation. 3DSMax is slightly easier to use than Maya. No idea about Lightwave, I've never used it.

Synecdoche

EDF Elite
Website
twitter.com
is 3d cgi modeling and animation difficult? I mean i understand you have to spend time practicing and learning it but do you think it is not beyond the realm of possibility for somebody to learn to model and animate something decent in a year?

Lurk

EDF Elite
is 3d cgi modeling and animation difficult? I mean i understand you have to spend time practicing and learning it but do you think it is not beyond the realm of possibility for somebody to learn to model and animate something decent in a year?
depends on how much previous CG (or just art in general) experience you have. you'll definitely need some photoshop or similar program skill as well. needed for skinning and helps a lot with materials, also useful for touching up images post-rendering

Slick Dingo

Dramacrat
Cinema 4D is pretty good, especially if you do a lot of stuff with lighting. At least in my experience.

Chrono

Dragon
Blender is supposedly easy to use and is free to download.

From what I seen, it's a pretty effective program.